We are no longer accepting applications for this degree.
Penn State Fayette offers all courses required to complete a two-year IST degree in the following options:
- Networking—If your goal is to enter the field of computer network services, this option will help meet your demands. Course work covers personal computer hardware/software, networking essentials, network administration, and design of both local and wide-area networks.
- Baccalaureate—This option allows you to finish an associate degree in IST while simultaneously completing requirements to continue your studies toward a bachelor's degree in IST.
- Business—Specialize in the IT side of accounting, marketing, and management with this option.
- Individualized—Academic flexibility and varied technical choices are the outstanding features of this option. Work with an advisor to design a program tailored just for you.
As the US economy accelerates its recovery, career opportunities in IST will grow at a fast pace. Job openings are happening, pay is attractive and advancement can be rapid. Graduates with an IST associate degree are competitive for positions in a wide variety of areas and locations, including small, local companies expanding the functionality of their LANs (Local Area Networks), medium size firms increasing their use of e-commerce, and government offices striving to improve customer service with enhanced automation systems.
According to latest government predictions: "Two of the fastest growing detailed occupations are in the computer specialist occupational group. Network systems and data communications analysts are projected to be the second-fastest-growing occupation in the economy. Demand for these workers will increase as organizations continue to upgrade their information technology capacity and incorporate the newest technologies. The growing reliance on wireless networks will result in a need for more network systems and data communications analysts as well. Computer applications software engineers also are expected to grow rapidly from 2008 to 2018. Expanding Internet technologies have spurred demand for these workers, who can develop Internet, intranet, and Web applications." (Source: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Example job titles are:
- Help Desk Analyst
- Network Support Analyst
- Micro/PC Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- Business Systems Analyst
- Network/Systems Administrator
- Quality Assurance Analyst
- PC/Software Test Technician
- Data Center Technician
- Field Technician
- IT Business Analyst
As an example, in July 2011 on a popular IT job search web site, there are 450+ IT jobs in the greater Pittsburgh area. More than 100 jobs are open even if you narrow down the results to those most applicable for IST associate degree graduates. Bottom line: Plenty of high paying jobs are waiting to be filled by IST graduates without leaving southwestern Pennsylvania.