Students around campus.

Answers for Parents

Answers for Parents

Admissions Questions

What are the entrance requirements to Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus?

The Admissions Office considers all of the following when making a decision on an application:

  • Final grades in all subject areas for years nine, ten, and eleven of high school, if the student is currently a high school senior.
  • Class rank
  • Required Carnegie Units (High School classes)
  • SAT/ACT scores
  • Grade point average from previously attended colleges/universities, if the student is transferring from another institution.
  • Any supplemental information (essays, letters, etc.) the student chooses to send with their application.

Does Penn State offer an early decision program?

No, Penn State does not employ an early decision program in its admission process.

How long after filing the application, will my child receive a response?

In general, if their complete application and credentials are received in Admissions by November 30 their anticipated notification date should be no later than January 31. If their application and credentials are received by December 31, your anticipated notification date should be no later than February 28. Moreover, if your complete application and credentials are received in Admissions on or after January 1, your anticipated notification date should be after March 1. Decisions for programs that include an audition, interview, or a portfolio may require a longer review period.

Applicants may continuously check the status of their application online through their My Penn State Account, which they created when they submitted the online application.

Will it help if a family member graduated from Penn State?

If a parent is an alumnus of Penn State, this will be taken into consideration.

How will Penn State Fayette notify my child of its decision regarding their application?

Applicants may continuously check the status of their application online through their My Penn State Account, which they created when they submitted the online application. In additions ll students are notified through the mail regarding the outcome of the application evaluation.

Is the admission criterion different for out-of-state students?

No. Penn State uses the same academic criteria in offering admission to both Pennsylvania and non-Pennsylvania residents.

Can students be admitted without an SAT or ACT score?

Yes, a student can be admitted to Fayette even if they have not taken the SAT or ACT. Please contact the Admissions Office at 724-430-4130 for further details.

When is the application deadline?

We recommend that applications be submitted by November 30. Admissions applications will be accepted after this date but it may become more difficult for your child to gain acceptance to their first choice major and/or campus. Furthermore, students are encouraged to apply early for financial aid and scheduling purposes.

How can I visit the campus?

Students and parents are encouraged to visit us to see what makes Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus such a special place to be. You can attend an Open House or visit on an individual basis at your convenience. Open Houses are scheduled throughout the year and are posted on our website. Please contact the Admissions Office at 724-430-4130 to set-up an individual visit.


Academic Questions

When will my child need to relocate to University Park campus?

Typically, they will relocate to University Park after completing their first two years of full-time study toward a baccalaureate degree.

Can my child complete their degree at Fayette?

A student can begin most of Penn State’s 160+ plus degrees at Fayette. In addition, students can begin and complete ten four-year programs and six two-year programs right on campus at Fayette. Please see academics for more details.

Will my child have an academic adviser?

Yes. Each student will be assigned an adviser. In addition, you may make use of advisers in other academic areas. Career advising is also available to all students.

How soon do students have to declare a major?

First-year students are admitted to an academic college rather than directly to a major. If a student wants to explore several majors in different areas of study, the best place to start is the Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS), where professional advisers can help with program exploration. Students will be required to declare a major at the end of their sophomore year.  Transfer students who have completed two or more years of study, and meet the admission criteria, are usually admitted directly into a major.

What about double majors or combining a major and minor?

Many students choose to add a minor to their major field of study. A double major is also possible for students who want a depth of knowledge in two distinct areas. Students will not be admitted into a double major or minor as a freshman, but they should let their adviser know of their interest early so they can plan a course schedule that fits their goals.

What if my child wants to change their major?

It is not unusual for students to change their majors. During the first two years, it is relatively easy to do, but requirements are not the same for all majors. Their academic adviser can give them information about specific requirements. Changing majors in the junior or senior year may be more difficult, depending on the requirements for the major.

Does Penn State have an honors program?

The Schreyer Honors College, Penn State’s University-wide honors program, is available at all undergraduate campuses. Admission to the Honors College requires a separate application process and is quite selective. As a guideline, selected candidates have had an average SAT I score of 1425 and an average high school GPA of 4.06 (honors course weightings allow GPAs higher than 4.00). All first-year students chosen to participate in the Schreyer Honors College are offered Academic Excellence Scholarships, renewable four-year merit-based awards of $2,000 to $3,000 per year.

Is there an Honor Society at Penn State Fayette?

Yes, Pi Sigma Phi is the honor society at Fayette. Students are invited to join based on their grade point average while a Penn State student.

Is help available if my child is having difficulty in class?

Yes. The Learning Center provides peer and faculty tutoring in most subjects free of charge.  Hours are flexible and any student can use its services.

Who teaches classes?

All of Penn State Fayette’s classes are taught by qualified faculty members. Fayette does not use any graduate teaching assistants.

Will my child get any help in finding employment after graduation?

A full-service Career Services and Internship Center is available for both students and alumni.
Services offered include:

  • Career Counseling
  • Resume Preparation Assistance
  • Workshops
  • Skills Testing
  • Career Planning


Student Aid Questions

How much does it cost to attend Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus?

For detailed information on tuition costs and fees please click on

Is there scholarships/financial aid available?

Fayette campus has one of the most extensive financial aid programs in the Penn State system. Over 90% of the Fayette, campus students receive some form of financial aid. This includes need-based aid as well as merit-based scholarship. In addition, Fayette awards over $200,000 per year in scholarship money. See the Financial Aid web site for further details.

How can I find out if my child is eligible for financial aid?

To be considered for student aid, all Penn State students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web.

What is the Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus Federal school code number?


What is the deadline for applying for financial aid?

Penn State recommends that first-year students submit the FAFSA on the Web by February 15 for maximum consideration of all student aid programs. Returning students by April 15.

How will we be notified if we are or are not eligible for student aid?

Penn State Office of Student Aid will inform you by mail. Award notification begins in March for first-year and other new students and continues throughout the academic year.

If we own a house in Pennsylvania, are we eligible for PA residency?

You need proof of residency, PA income tax, and Federal income tax for one year. Owning a house in PA does not qualify a student for PA residency tuition fees.

What if I cannot pay my child's tuition bill by the due date?

Penn State offers a Deferred Payment Plan that allows you the convenience of splitting your tuition bill into three payments. Instructions for the Deferred Payment Plan appear on the semester bill.

I have other financial aid questions. Whom should I contact at Penn State Fayette?

The Office of Student Aid can be contacted at 724-430-4131.


Student/Campus Life Questions

Is there on-campus housing?

No. There are no university-owned residence halls. Fayette is a commuter campus. However, there are privately owned off-campus housing opportunities in the surrounding area. The Student Affairs Office can provide an off-campus housing list to help with the search. Student Affairs can be contacted at 724-430-4248.

What sorts of activities are there on campus?

At Penn State Fayette, students can participate in a wide variety of sports, clubs organizations and recreational activities.

  • Intercollegiate sports
  • Intramural sports
  • Over 30 clubs and organizations reflecting a variety of academic areas and different interests.


Is parking available on campus?

Yes, Fayette campus is a commuter campus. Therefore, plenty of parking is available.

How safe is the campus?

The crime rate at Penn State Fayette is significantly lower than state and national averages. A number of services help keep the campus community safe, including full-time security and escort services.


Other Questions

Will I have access to my child's grades?

Parents do not have access their child's grades. Only if the student gives written permission to the Registrars Office can grades be released to the parents.

How can I notify my health insurance company that my child is a full-time student?

Your child can get verification from e-lion.

I did not see my questions answered here, who can I contact?

Please call the Admissions Office at 724-430-4130.