Penn State understands that while pursuing higher education can be an exciting experience for an adult learner, this experience can also prove to be challenging. To help adult learners make the most of their educational opportunities and achieve academic success, Penn State offers a number of resources unique to the needs of these students. Whether you are just beginning a college career or you are returning to college after several years, Penn State is here to help you achieve your goals.
Adult Learners are very important to Penn State Fayette. We welcome your experience-based knowledge and enthusiasm for learning. No matter what your academic, professional, or personal goals, chances are you will find a program at Penn State that is right for you.
Over 20% of Penn State Fayette students are considered Adult Learners or Non-Traditional students. So regardless of whether you just recently completed high school or have been in the workforce for many years, you are bound to find students just like you at our campus.
Am I classified as an Adult Learner?
At Penn State University, you would be classified as an adult learner if you are:
- 24 years of age or older;
- A veteran of the armed services;
- An active duty service member;
- Returning to school after four or more years of employment, homemaking, or other activity;
- A person who assumes multiple adult roles such as a parent, spouse/partner, and employee.
Adult learners may start taking courses one at a time, or as a full-time student. Many courses are offered in the day, evening, and online. Adult students may start as a non-degree (non-matriculated) student or apply for a degree program.
At Penn State Fayette Adult Learners can:
- Take advantage of academic advising and career services
- Enroll as a full-time or part-time student to fit your personal schedule
- Interact with a diverse community of students, faculty and staff
- Take a few courses, earn a certificate, or complete a degree that is respected worldwide
- Relax or study in our friendly and welcome Adult Learner Lounge
Adult learners at Penn State have several options. Those who have a high school diploma with a strong grade point average can apply as a first year student.
Those adult learners who have attended another college or university and have at least a 2.00 cumulative grade point average can apply as a transfer student.
If you are an adult learner interested in taking a few courses for personal or professional development, you can apply as a non-matriculated student.