Frequently Asked Questions

I am having problems non-academic related. How can the Student Success Center support me?
The Student Success Center is a comfortable environment to relax, and our staff can connect you to the relevant resources available to you as a student at Penn State Fayette.

What kinds of information session and workshops are available to me?
All workshops and events hosted by the Student Success Center are open to every student. Workshops focus on writing, study skills, time management, career assessments, writing personal statements, major exploration, graduate school exploration, career fairs, interview techniques, financial literacy, LinkedIn, and meeting your adviser. The Let's Chat! series features an informal discussion with faculty or staff about their educational experiences.

Can I come to the center to study without an appointment?
Yes! You can come to the Center to study independently or with a group. Just sign in at the reception area upon arriving.

How do I schedule an appointment?
Sign up for an appointment online at
You can schedule an appointment with an adviser through Starfish ( Once you log in you will find your academic adviser in your Success Network. If their schedule is not available, you can stop by their office hours or request a meeting via email.
*First-time users will need to register and create an account with a Penn State email and student ID.

Is The Student Success Center on any social media sites?
Keep up-to-date on the Center by following Penn State Fayette on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.


How can academic advising help me?
At Penn State Fayette, students are assigned to an academic adviser based on their major. Students designated as undecided in the Division of Undergraduate Studies (DUS) will be assigned to one of the advisers in the Student Success Center. It is always encouraged to meet with your assigned adviser. DUS advisers are available to meet with any student to help with major and career exploration and setting academic goals. This group of advisers will also host workshops and walk-in hours to help students with scheduling classes, adjusting schedules, declaring majors, changing campus locations, and more.

How do I register for classes?
Prior to scheduling each semester, you must complete your Pre-Registration Activity Guide. It is recommended that you meet with your adviser before scheduling classes, but you can develop a schedule and register on your own through LionPATH. You can utilize the Schedule Builder function in your Student Center to create schedule options with the classes you are looking to take. From here, you are able to send the desired schedule directly to your enrollment shopping cart. Once it is sent to your shopping cart, go back to your Student Center and click on the hamburger icon > Academics > Enrollment Shopping Cart. From there, you will import the classes by clicking on the yellow box; verify each class, and follow the remaining steps to complete your enrollment. Registration is conducted through priority status and then by the number of credits completed. Timetables for enrollment dates are released a few weeks after the schedule and shopping carts are made available to students at or viewable in LionPATH.

Helpful links:

How do I declare a major?
It is always recommended that you meet with an adviser to ensure you have met the entrance to major requirements. You can declare your major by accessing the Academic Records menu in LionPATH and clicking on Update Academics.

Helpful links:

How do I find my academic adviser?
Your academic adviser is found in LionPATH and Starfish. In your LionPATH Student Center, click on Academics and your assigned adviser should appear in the middle, at the bottom of the page. In Starfish, view your Success Network and they will be denoted with "Assigned Adviser."

How do I change my campus assignment?
You will first need to meet with your assigned academic adviser to determine if a change is appropriate. Once you have met with your adviser and they have input advising notes in Starfish, you can initiate the change of campus process in LionPATH. Students can submit their request in LionPATH. The request will then be processed and you will receive notification whether it is approved or denied. Your campus change request is to be completed the semester before the change is to occur.

Helpful links:

How do I change my adviser?
There is an Adviser Change Request Form that must be filled out in order to change your adviser. You will provide your current adviser's information as well as the new adviser's information and signature. This form is available in the Student Success Center.

Where can I find my degree audit?
Your degree audit can be found in LionPATH. In your Student Center, view "Academic Requirements" in your Quick Links. This will bring up your degree audit. It is recommended that you view as PDF. Any requirements not met will be noted as "not satisfied."

Helpful links:

Where can I find my Recommended Academic Plan (RAP Sheet)?
The Recommended Academic Plan for Penn State Fayette specific majors is under the "Academics" tab on the Penn State Fayette website. From here, go to the Academic Resources on the right-hand side of the page, select Recommended Academic Plans. On the next page, select your major. For majors at University Park or other Campuses, go to > College Information Chart.

Can my parents meet with my advisor without me present to talk about my schedule, grades, or academic progress?
As a college student, you have privacy under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which states universities cannot release any form of educational records without the student's written consent. The right of educational records transfers to the student once they are enrolled in an institution of higher education. A parent cannot meet with an academic adviser without the student present. Even with consent, a parent should never request to have an advising appointment without their student present.

Am I able to drop a class?
You are able to drop a class without penalties during the first week of the semester. Following this first week, there is a late add/drop period during which you can drop a class as well at a minimal fee. You do not need approval to drop any classes, but you must be aware of the number of credits that will remain on your schedule following the class drop. The minimum number of credits for a full-time student is 12. It is recommended that you meet with an adviser when making these schedule changes.

Helpful links:

Where do I go to transfer credits?
When transferring credits into Penn State Fayette, your transcripts from the prior institution should be sent to the Admissions Office. After they are processed, you can view if your credits have transferred on your degree audit. Students can also view their Transfer of Credit letter in the Communications tab in LionPATH. This letter will detail what has been transferred, additional information that is needed, if any, and how to appeal any courses that do not transfer.

My credits from my prior university have been transferred as General Education requirements. Is it possible to have my classes count as a different requirement for my major?
It may be possible. You will need to schedule an appointment with your adviser to discuss your options. It is always good practice to have a course description or syllabus available for this appointment. This allows the reviewing university official to see the concepts and topics that were covered in previous coursework and to make a decision on whether or not the course meets the spirit of the major or general education requirement. Your adviser will then submit a course substitution form and may attach the course description and syllabus.

When I log-in to LionPATH to schedule, what does it mean if there is a hold placed on my account?
When a hold is placed on your account, you will not be allowed to register or add additional courses or access your transcript, and it could prevent the issuing of your diploma upon graduation until the hold is lifted.
The types of holds that can be placed on a student's record are as follows:

  • Academic-placed and removed by the appropriate college Dean's office
  • Administrative—placed and removed by the Registrar's office
  • Disciplinary—placed and removed by the Office of Student Conduct
  • Financial—placed and removed by offices such as the Parking Office, University Libraries, Office of the Bursar
  • Health—placed and removed by University Health Services

Make immediate contact with the office that activated the hold to initiate the actions necessary to have the hold removed.

Career Services

I'm unsure of what career path to choose. Who can I go for help?
Only you can make a decision about your career path, but career services can connect you with resources to help you make that decision. We have tools and assessments that can help point you in the right direction. The tool Career Services utilizes is called My Plan. The four assessments that are available to you focus on personality, interests, skills, and values. Once these are completed, you can stop by the Student Success Center to meet with our Career Coach to process your results and receive some insight to your career options.

Can Career Services help me find an internship or job?
Yes, Career Services can help you gain the skills to find an internship or job. We can help guide you through searching for internship and job opportunities. We can review resumes and cover letters. We also facilitate mock interviews to prepare you for an actual interview. However, securing an internship site or job is up to you!

How can I make an internship count for class credit?
Ensuring that your internship counts for class credit is a simple process! The semester before your internship, you should meet with the Career Services Coordinator to express your interest in completing an internship. You will find the necessary resources at Before enrolling in the course, students must submit the Agreement Form and a blue add/drop form signed by the internship instructor. During this time, you will need to work with the internship instructor to agree on an acceptable site. Throughout the semester, students continue to work with their internship instructor to complete evaluations of their experiences and additional assignments.

Can I still look for an internship on my own?
Absolutely! We encourage students to research internship possibilities, but we are here to help with any questions and concerns. For additional sites and resources, you can email

Can Career Services help me to find job shadowing opportunities?
Yes. You can set up an appointment by calling the front desk of The Student Success Center at (724)430-4119 or stopping by the center located in the Williams building.

Can Career Services help me practice interviewing?
Yes! Career Services uses a website called Interview Stream to help students get more comfortable with the interview process. Questions can be customized depending on your major and type of employment that you are seeking. The great part about this mock-interviewing site is that it will video-record your responses for playback. Students are able to view the entire interview after completion in order to see where they need improvement. Our staff can meet with you to provide feedback on your responses and body language.

The Learning Center

Can I come to The Learning Center if I have good grades?
Yes! Even if you don't feel like you're struggling in a course, you can take advantage of a tutoring session for extra practice, to review a paper, and to improve. We want to help you succeed and achieve your goals. (Plus, even experts in their fields consult others for advice and feedback!)

How can I request a tutor?
Stop by the Student Success Center in the Williams Building or call 724-430-4119 for scheduling questions and assistance. You can also sign up for a session online at*.
*First-time users will have to register and create an account using their Penn State email and student ID.

Can I schedule recurring tutoring appointments for multiple weeks?
Yes! Simply log on to Once logged on, choose the learning center schedule in the top drop box. Then you can use the second drop box to choose a specific subject. The schedule will bring up the tutors that work with that particular subject, their schedule, and availability for the week. To schedule recurrent appointments, click the arrow for the next week and make another appointment; continue doing so until you have scheduled as many appointments as you want.

I’m have trouble in a subject not offered by current tutors, what should I do?
Contact the front desk of The Student Success Center by calling 724-430-4119 or emailing to discuss specific subjects that maybe troubling you. If we do not have a tutor for a particular subject, you can still meet with a staff member to work on study and test-taking skills.

How should I prepare for a tutoring session?
Before the session, review the content you want to work on, and prepare questions for the tutor. Perhaps there's a math problem that's giving you trouble, a concept that you don't understand, or part of a writing assignment that you feel could use improvement. When it's time for the session, bring your class notes, syllabus, textbook, and assignment instructions-whatever is relevant to the assignment. Share your concerns and needs with your tutor. We are here to help!

Who are the tutors? How can I become a tutor?
The Learning Center is comprised of peer and professional tutors who are strong in the subject areas in which they tutor. Professional tutors have undergraduate or graduate degrees, and these employees usually have standard hours of service. Peer tutors volunteer or are employed by The Learning Center, have exceled in their courses, and have been recommended by faculty.

If you wish to apply for a peer tutor position, email Mary Budinsky at to share your interest and inquire about staff openings. Peer tutor applicants must be current Penn State Fayette students, must have an "A" in the course for which they are applying to tutor, and must have a minimum 3.25 overall GPA. Applicants must be in good overall academic standing and must be responsible and patient. Tutors needed and the number hired varies with academic needs of students per semester.

How do I schedule to make up an exam?
You must complete the exam request form on the Penn State Fayette website at least 48 hours prior to preferred exam date. Faculty will need to email or hand-deliver exam, instructions, and guidelines to Mary Budinsky at

Can students use the testing rooms to study?
Yes, if rooms are not in use for exam proctoring or other Student Success Center appointments, students may reserve a room for group study by calling 724-430-4119 or visiting the Student Success Center in person.