Students on campus

Transfer Applicants

Transfer Applicants

Am I a Transfer Applicant?

You are classified as a Transfer Applicant if you have earned a high school diploma (or equivalent) and have attempted at least 18 semester credits at another regionally accredited college or university before applying to Penn State.

In order to transfer to Penn State, all academic programs require a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in your previous post-secondary coursework. Higher cumulative grade point averages and/or completion of specific courses may be required for some programs.

What are the Requirements to Apply?

A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Transfer applicants are expected to have met the minimum high school requirements to be eligible for enrollment.  Appropriate college-level courses may substitute for high school units. (SAT/ACT test scores are NOT required for transfer students.)

In addition, transfer student admission decisions are made on the basis of several combined factors:

  • The total number of credits a student has accumulated from all accredited colleges and universities attended.
  • The total cumulative grade-point average from all colleges and universities attended.
  • Choice of major.

Coursework successfully completed at other colleges and universities that are members of the six regional accrediting associations will be considered for transfer credit.

For courses to be eligible for review, the grade received in the course must be equivalent to a "C" (2.00) or higher at Penn State. Penn State must have a similar program or course offering.

College level coursework completed at colleges or universities that are licensed by state boards of education to award associate degrees or higher but that are not members of one of the six regional accrediting associations may be eligible for credit by validation.

Are you a WCCC student transferring to Penn State Fayette?

Penn State Fayette and Westmorland County Community College (WCCC) have a comprehensive articulation agreement, which allows many WCCC students to complete their coursework and transfer to Penn State to complete a baccalaureate or other advanced degree. Penn State will waive the application fee for any WCCC transfer student who applies to the University. For more information, be sure to send an email to to learn how you can have your Penn State application fee waived.

Refer a friend

Do you have a friend at another university who is looking to transfer? Or, do you know someone who is interested in continuing their education? Connect them with Penn State Fayette!

To make a referral please contact Admissions at

To say thanks, we’ll give you a Penn State Fayette T-shirt when your friend visits!