Veterans on campus

Military Veteran Applicants

Military Veteran Applicants

You’ve served your country and earned your G.I. Bill or Post 9/11 G.I. benefits. Now you’re looking to earn a college degree. Let us serve you as you start to take that next big step!

Penn State: A Military Friendly University

Penn State Fayette has a long history of working with the military and veterans. Penn State Fayette is a proud participant in the ‘Got Your 6’ program and has earned a Military-Friendly designation. In addition, U.S. News and World Report has consistently included Penn State University on their annual list of “Best Colleges for Veterans.” Through that experience, we have developed convenient learning formats and a military-friendly environment.

As an actively serving member of the armed services or a veteran, you are classified as an adult learner at Penn State, so please review all of the requirements and information available for that student type as you consider applying to Penn State. Click here for more information about applying as an Adult Learner.

To visit campus and to learn more about Penn State Fayette, please contact Admissions at 724-430-4130 or by email at

Who Qualifies for Veterans Services?

You may be eligible to receive one or more educational benefits from the United States Veterans Administration if you fall within the following definition:

A veteran is a former member of the armed forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard) who served on active duty and was discharged under conditions that were other than dishonorable. There is no minimum number of days a student must have served on active duty to be considered a veteran. 

However, periods of active duty for training, pursuant to an enlistment in the National Guard or reserves, does not qualify a student as a veteran. Former or current members of the National Guard or reserves are not considered to be veterans unless they had prior or subsequent service with an active component of the armed forces.

Those veterans eligible for educational benefits should make an appointment with a counselor as soon as possible to begin their paperwork. Dependents eligible for VA benefits under a parent's file also should arrange an appointment at their earliest convenience.

How to use GI Bill® Benefits at Penn State Fayette

To use veterans’ education benefits, you will need to submit a certification request form and your VA Certification of Eligibility to the Certifying Officials to the Penn State Fayette Financial Aid Office.  

If you have not yet received your VA Certification of Eligibility, you may submit a statement of your eligibility printed from VA eBenefits Portal.  (link to: When we receive your Certification Request Form and confirmation of eligibility, we will submit your enrollment certification to VA so that your benefits can be processed. You must submit a certification request form each semester you want to use your benefits.

If you have any questions about accessing your post-9/11 GI benefits at Penn State Fayette, please contact our Student Aid Coordinator Rick Van Buren at 724-430-4132 or by email at