The Student Success Center (SSC) currently offers free, remote tutoring consultations for current Penn State Fayette students through Zoom appointments and the Online Writing Lab (OWL). Limited on-campus tutoring will be available during the Fall 2020 semester.
Tutoring begins in Week 2 of each fall and spring semester. Peer and professional tutors provide support for math, the sciences, writing for all disciplines, and a variety of other courses. Students may also contact the SSC for consultations about study, test taking, and time management strategies. Tutors are committed to working with students from all disciplines, majors, and academic backgrounds at any point in their study. Tutors not only provide help for students who feel they are struggling, but they also seek to help students who wish to remain strong in their courses and prepare for exams and projects. In addition to reviewing class content, assisting with questions and exam preparation, and reviewing rough drafts, the team of peer and professional tutors is also useful for
- analyzing audiences and developing topics for writing assignments
- helping students craft speeches, presentations, and surveys
- serving as usability testers or a test audience for projects and presentations
- providing assistance on basic use of Microsoft programs (such as formatting in Word or Power Point)
- hosting and/or helping to facilitate group study sessions
Making an Appointment with a Tutor
Use the online scheduling system to schedule a session.
**New users will have to create an account using their Penn State email address and ID before logging in. Contact or visit the Student Success Center if you have any questions or difficulties.
- Log in and select the appropriate semester.
- Limit the schedule to the course or subject area of interest.
- View open appointments and select an available time. Complete the form to reserve your appointment.
- Return to https://eberly.mywconline.com a few minutes before your appointment to sign in and select your appointment. There you will find the session location information & link (some sessions will be on Zoom—with a link provided—and some sessions may be in a designated room on campus).
For more information about Zoom, please see the Zoom Meeting Quick Start Guide.
OWL – Online Writing Lab
If you need writing help for any class, consider using the OWL, where you can receive tutoring online at a time that’s best for you. Professional writing tutors will help at any stage of your writing process (brainstorming, planning, drafting, revision). Students should submit their questions and paper drafts by completing a request survey.
Students may request paper reviews or Zoom/phone sessions to discuss brainstorming and paper development. Please plan for a turnaround time of approximately 48 hours (also factoring in time for writer revisions after receiving feedback and communicating with the tutor).
* If many OWL requests come through in a short time span, for example when students are required to submit a paper to the OWL as part of an assignment, this may lengthen our turnaround time. We appreciate your understanding and patience as the writing tutors do their best to provide quality feedback for each request.
Requesting Other Availability or Need Assistance Arranging a Tutoring Appointment?
Would you like assistance at a time currently unavailable through the scheduling system? Are you looking for help in a course in which tutoring is not offered? If no tutor is available for your specific course, we will still consult with you as you work on study skills for that course in collaboration with your faculty.
Please submit the tutor request form, and a Student Success Center staff member will follow up with you.
Contact the Student Success Center if you would like help or if you have any questions by calling 724-430-4119 or email [email protected].
Are you seeking help for an elementary, middle school, or high school student?
Unfortunately, we do not coordinate such tutoring through our center because our tutors are hired solely to work with current Penn State Fayette students. However, we can advertise your tutoring need to our student body. Email information about the opportunity to [email protected]. Please provide a contact person, email and/or phone number, subject(s) and level of the student, school district/general location, and pay or volunteer information (a rate or the willingness to negotiate a wage). The Learning Center will work with Career Services to advertise the opportunity to our current students. Then, anyone interested can contact you directly.