Six students from Penn State Fayette to dance in THON 2024

Gianna Krofcheck, Skylar Wilson, Justin Byers, Joshua Krause, Joshua Heller and Nicholas Pecsko

From top left, clockwise are Gianna Krofcheck, Skylar Wilson, Justin Byers, Nicholas Pecsko, Joshua Heller and Joshua Krause.

Credit: Penn State

LEMONT FURNACE, Pa. — Six students from Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus, are set to participate in THON, a 46-hour dance marathon at University Park that raises funds for children and families affected by childhood cancer, benefiting Four Diamonds at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital.

On Feb. 16, Justin Byers, Joshua Heller, Joshua Krause, Gianna Krofcheck, Nick Pecsko, and Skylar Wilson will stand as one against childhood cancer inside University Park’s Bryce Jordan Center when the first song begins at 6:00 p.m. Dancers are expected remain awake and standing the entire weekend.

“It’s my hope that by participating in THON, what I’ve fundraised can help families in need. Hearing their stories makes me push even harder,” Byers said. “It’s going to be a challenge, but my Fayette family will be the motivation I need throughout the weekend!”

“Participating will help relieve the burden and stress of medical expenses,” Heller said, having seen the organization’s impact first-hand. “I’ve been to THON a few times and have always wanted to be a dancer! It might be the most challenging thing I’ll ever do, but I can’t wait to see everyone’s hard work pay off.”

“I’ve taken on a mentor role for our dancers,” Krause said, having danced for the Fayette campus each year since 2021. “I understand the challenges we'll face over the weekend. Through my experience, I hope to guide everyone through their ups and downs. No matter how many years I dance, it’s an amazing and wonderful experience.”

“What motivated me to become a dancer was the ability to do everything for the kids,” Krofcheck said. “Seeing what they go through is sad, and I just want to make sure they feel loved and have a support system. Everything we fundraise throughout the year is for them. They’re not alone in this fight!”

“I’m expecting to be mentally and physically exhausted,” Pecsko said, explaining that his determination is fueled by the resilience of children undergoing chemotherapy treatments. “I hope the kids have as much fun as possible.”

“I want to be one of the many Penn State students who show that anyone can be a hero through their support,” Wilson said. “The kids aren’t alone in their battle, and they have our endless support through thick and thin as we dance in hope for a cure.”

Penn State Fayette's THON participants continue their longstanding tradition of supporting pediatric cancer research and care through the Four Diamonds Fund at Penn State Children’s Hospital. Since 1998, the campus has raised more than $1.6 million, leading the 19 Commonwealth Campuses in donations. Contributions fund cancer research and provide comprehensive care for children undergoing treatment.