Penn State Fayette is offering a program for first-year students to provide tools and resources to jump start their first year on campus. The program assists students who are seeking to enhance skills for Math, English, and college success. The goals of this program are to provide students with skills for success in writing, math, and integration into life at Penn State. The structured instruction from faculty is individualized and supported by additional tutorial assistance by faculty and peer tutors as needed.
Students will also receive success skills information through a series of sessions on career and academic topics including motivation, study strategies for success, financial aid, major exploration, and campus technology.
Students who successfully complete the program (including the success session from 11:00 a.m. to noon) will be eligible for First-Year Seminar credit, and a $50 voucher that can be used at the campus bookstore. Students who complete the full day program will also receive a $500 scholarship.
Lunch will be provided at no cost.
- Students experience gains in skills based on pre- and post-tests.
- Students who retook ALEKS at the end of the program often improved scores and placed into a higher-level math class.
- Over 90% of students agree that the program helps with:
- meeting the expectations of college
- learning strategies used by students to achieve success
- understanding personal motivation and goals for college
- knowing how to access resources on campus
- 100 percent of survey respondents would recommend the program to other first year students!
Program Dates and Times
July 31 to August 11, 2023
Monday through Friday
Math only: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
English only: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
English and Math: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
This program takes place in person on the Fayette campus.
- Take the Math placement test (ALEKS) available March
- Plan to attend NSO by the end of July
- Register for Summer Bridge program