To be eligible for federal and state financial aid, students must:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. Penn State's FAFSA School Code is 003329 . *See note below.
- Be enrolled/accepted in an eligible program of study.
- Be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate students, 5 credits at the 400 level or above for graduate students).
- Have a high school diploma, a GED, or a passing "ability to benefit" test.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number (SSN).
- Be registered with the Selective Service if you're a male between the ages of 18 to 25.
- Not have eligibility suspended or terminated due to a drug-related conviction(s).
- Not be in default on a federal student loan(s).
- Not owe repayment of a federal grant(s).
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the higher education institution.
* It is highly recommended that students/parents submit the FAFSA using a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Using an FSA ID rather than paper signatures can cut the federal processing time to less than a week.