The mission of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus is to graduate knowledgeable and skilled health care providers, ready to work as part of a team to provide selected physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist in an ethical, legal, safe, and effective manner. The program prepares graduates to be life-long learners and responsible, productive members of the health care community and society.
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program aspires to provide the highest quality education in a learner-centered environment. The PTA Program is guided by a commitment to the Penn State Values of integrity, respect, responsibility, discovery, excellence, and community.
- The student will communicate verbally, nonverbally, and in written form in an effective, respectful, and timely manner in ways that are congruent with situational needs.
- The student will identify, respect, and act with consideration for patients’/clients’ differences, values, preferences, and expressed needs in all work-related activities.
- The student will observe ethical and legal standards of practice while performing physical therapy interventions.
- The student will participate in activities that afford opportunities for growth in social responsibility.
- The student will participate in ongoing self-assessment to improve knowledge, skill and behaviors that facilitate career development.
- The student will competently demonstrate effective data collection techniques under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist.
- The student will administer safe treatment interventions under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist.
- The student will utilize sound clinical problem-solving to provide entry level physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist.
- The student will demonstrate the ability to interact with members of the health care team and provide inter-professional care.
- PTA program admission and enrollment processes will support the mission of the program and reflect regional workforce needs.
- The PTA program will provide curricula that will adequately prepare students for clinical experiences, future employment as physical therapist assistants and life-long learning.
- The PTA program will work with PSU administration, admissions, library services, academic support services, and other support services to develop policies and practices and provide resources that are beneficial to the PTA students and faculty.
- The PTA program will maintain highly qualified faculty to educate and evaluate students in the program.
- The PTA program will work with qualified clinical faculty to provide students with relevant and diverse clinical experiences
- The PTA program will promote the health and wellness of society.
- The faculty will have contemporary expertise in assigned teaching areas and demonstrate effectiveness in teaching and student evaluation.
- The faculty will participate in productive service to the campus, University, profession, and/or community.
- The faculty will engage in on-going professional development related to enhancing knowledge of contemporary physical therapy practice, pedagogy, and/or service and research activities.
Acceptance and Matriculation Rates
- For 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 academic years, the average percentage of applicants that met the minimum admission requirements was 53%. 100% of these qualified applicants were offered admission to the PTA Program. 87% of applicants offered admission matriculated into the PTA Program.
Student Outcomes Data
- For students matriculating in 2016 and 2017, the two-year average graduation rate is 76%.
- For the graduating classes of 2018 and 2019, the ultimate pass rate on the national physical therapy exam (NPTE) for PTAs is 100%.
- For the graduating classes of 2018 and 2019, the two-year average first-time pass rate on the national physical therapy exam (NPTE) for PTAs is 89.4%.
- For the graduating classes of 2018 and 2019, the two-year average employment rate is 94.7%.